Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: That Time I Joined the Circus by J.J. Howard


That Time I Joined the Circus
By: J.J. Howard
Pub. Date: April 1, 2013
Publisher: Point
Pages: 272
Source: Netgalley

Lexi Ryan just ran away to join the circus, but not on purpose.

A music-obsessed, slightly snarky New York City girl, Lexi is on her own. After making a huge mistake--and facing a terrible tragedy--Lexi has no choice but to track down her long-absent mother. Rumor has it that Lexi's mom is somewhere in Florida with a traveling circus.

When Lexi arrives at her new, three-ring reality, her mom isn't there . . . but her destiny might be. Surrounded by tigers, elephants, and trapeze artists, Lexi finds some surprising friends and an even more surprising chance at true love. She even lucks into a spot as the circus's fortune teller, reading tarot cards and making predictions.

But then Lexi's ex-best friend from home shows up, and suddenly it's Lexi's own future that's thrown into question.

With humor, wisdom, and a dazzlingly fresh voice, this debut reminds us of the magic of circus tents, city lights, first kisses, and the importance of an excellent playlist.
I really didn't know what to expect when I started this story, but I ended up absolutely loving it! It was such a refreshing read. In the same night, Lexi loses her best friend and her father. The lawyer in charge with her dad's will tells Lexi that her mother is somewhere in Florida, working at a circus. With no money and hardly no belongings, Lexi heads down there to find her mother. Turns out her mom is no longer working for the circus, but the owner gives her a job. In no time, Lexi is part of this circus family.

The story is told in the present time and in the past. We see Lexi's dad and her friends and we learn how everything fell apart. I loved watching Lexi become apart of the circus. She really helped everyone there. She had a few romantic interests as well, and I never knew which one was going to stick!

While That Time I Joined the Circus sounds like it is just a fun read, it is so much more. There are a lot of emotions in the story, and I found myself crying a few times. I felt so bad for Lexi and I just wanted her to be happy.

I really loved everything about this story. The chapter titles were so much fun and I loved the music lyrics before each chapter. I especially loved the characters. Every single one of them stood out for me. My favorite scene was the Christmas road trip! Seriously, everything about this book was amazing. I can not wait to buy a finished copy for my shelf and I highly recommend it! 


2 comments:

  1. While I didn't feel as much from this book as you did, I'm really glad to see that you enjoyed it! I just thought it was a fun read, but nothing I could get very involved with. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've seen this one. But I have to say, it does look really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...