Monday, April 29, 2013

Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell


Eleanor & Park
By: Rainbow Rowell
Pub. Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 325
Source: Bought

"Bono met his wife in high school," Park says.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused, then dead."
''I love you," Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be."

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR & PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.
Usually, I try to stay far away from stories that everyone else loves. I hate reading books when I go in with such high expectations because then I get upset when those expectations aren't met. I still haven't read, The Fault in the Stars, for this exact reason and I think I am the only one left on the planet who hasn't. When Eleanor & Park kept popping up on so many blogs that I respect, I knew I had to put my feelings aside and just read it. I am so happy that I did. Eleanor & Park was absolutely amazing. It not only met all of those expectations, but it surpassed them as well!

The year is 1986 (one year after I was born!) and Park usually just sits by himself on the bus listening to his walkman. One day, a chubby, red haired, crazy dressed girl shows up on the bus and eventually he moves over so she can sit down. They never say anything to each other, but spend the hour on the bus (30 minutes going to school, 30 minutes coming home) reading his comic books. As time goes on Park lends Eleanor his comic books and walkman, and a friendship is born. Watching these two develop feelings for each other was wonderful to read. I felt like I was in on their sweet secret and I wanted to give them their privacy.

These two characters were fleshed out so perfectly. I felt like I knew both of them so well. They both came from completely different backgrounds and I love how Eleanor found a home in Park's family, a home that she never got with her own family.

As soon as I finished reading it, I wanted to read it again. It was just so beautifully written and really does deserve all of the praise it is receiving! I also think that the cover is one of the best covers I have ever seen! It is so simple and sweet and it really is what Eleanor & Park is all about! 


1 comment:

  1. I haven't read The Fault in Our Stars yet either-I'm nervous because both my mom and sister said it was readable but average. I want to fall in love with it like everyone else.

    Still I do absolutely adore Eleanor and Park-a complete surprise and one I'm so happy to have picked up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...