Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review: Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer


Spirit
(Elemental # 3)
By: Brigid Kemmerer
Pub. Date: May 28, 2013
Publisher: K Teen (Kensington Books)
Pages: 432
Source: Netgalley

With power comes enemies. Lots of them.

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He’s learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can’t seem to afford any allies.

He’s up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there’s Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She’s not hostile. She’s bold. Funny. Hot. But she’s got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he’ll have to find someone he can trust. 
To be honest, I wasn't too excited for Spirit. I am a huge fan of the series, but I just wasn't interested in a full length Hunter novel...I wanted the Merrick brothers!! I can happily say that I was 100% impressed with this story, and I am so glad that I read it, despite my reservations.

What I loved most about Spirit was being able to get inside Hunter's head. He really is such a fantastic guy. He has been through a lot, and it seems like it just keeps getting worse for him. He wants to do the right thing, but everyone makes it so hard. I spent the entire book trying to figure out what was going to happen, and what "side" Hunter was going to choose. Since Brigid Kemmerer is such a talented writer, I never saw any of the plot twists that came my way!

I really enjoyed Hunter and Gabriel's friendship in Spark and I was sad that they had a falling out, though I totally get why that happened. Despite everything that happened between the Merrick brothers and Hunter they still helped him out when he needed someone the most. It just shows what great people the Merrick brothers are, and made me fall in love with all of them even more! 

The other point of view we get to read is Kate. She is a Guardian sent to hunt down the Merrick brothers. Hunter never went through the Guardian training, but through Kate we see how damaging and painful the training really is. I really loved Hunter and Kate together, especially because Hunter has had such bad luck with the ladies lately!

I am so excited for the next book in the series! This is definitely one of those series that should not be missed. 


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed Gabriel and Hunter's friendship too, and I think I'll just die if they don't make up. (Okay that might be a bit of an exaggeration...)

    I'm happy that you enjoyed reading this - Hunter is a great character, after all.

    Great review! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...