Thursday, May 23, 2013

Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry


Dare You To
(Pushing the Limits # 2)
By: Katie McGarry
Pub. Date: June 7, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 304
Source: Netgalley

Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all.
Pushing the Limits was one of my favorite books from last year, and Beth Risk fascinated me. I wanted to know more about this girl, and what made her so angry and moody. In Dare You To, we learn all about Beth and her past. We also get to see her fall in love with a (cute!) boy named Ryan.

What we first see of Beth only touches the surface. Deep down she is a caring, selfless girl, who would do anything for her friends and family, especially her mom. Her mother really angered me and definitely did not deserve anything that Beth did for her. We also get to see her relationship with Isaac. In PTL, I wanted Beth and Isaac to get together. They care so deeply for one another, and would protect each other through everything. But I can see why McGarry did not make the two of them get together. Beth needs someone that is the opposite of her. She needed to grow. As bad at this sounds, I think Isaac would have kept her from reaching her potential. That isn't to say Isaac wouldn't be perfect for someone else (I am so excited for his story, Crash Into You, which comes out next year!).

Enter Ryan Stone. He is the all-American boy. He play's baseball, is one of the popular boys, and comes from a good, rich home. But just like with Beth, not everything is at it seems. Ryan lives by his parents wishes and will do everything they say. Including not talking to his older brother because he is gay.

I really liked the connection between these two characters. Beth is so broken, and needs someone strong to save her from herself. Ryan is a push-over when it comes to his parents, and needs someone strong willed to whip him into shape so he can see how stupid he is being. They were perfect for each other!

There weren't as many I would have liked, but I loved the scenes with Noah.  I just love that boy, and can not get enough of him! Seeing him and Echo happy together was so sweet. They are one of my favorite couples in YA!

McGarry has done it again with Dare You To. Her characters are so realistic and her writing is just phenomenal. She truly has a gift with writing honest portrayals of today's teenagers. 


1 comment:

  1. I didn't mind that there wasn't much of Noah because I ended up liking Ryan and Beth so much more than him and Echo. I initially thought Beth and Isaiah would get together too but this way is so much better!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...