Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: Awry by Chelsea Fine

Awry
(The Archers of Avalon # 2)
By: Chelsea Fine
Pub. Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: Firefall Publishing
Pages: 495
Source: Bought
Three curses. Two brothers. One love triangle.

Sometimes love is meant to be. But sometimes love...is the death of you.

Seventeen-year-old Scarlet has just died. Only, dying isn't unusual for a girl under a centuries old curse that left her semi-immortal.

This time, though, she comes back to her current life instead of awaking in a new one, and she realizes the curse is changing. With the help of the immortal Archer brothers, Scarlet must piece together her life and try to break the curse before her impending death comes again. 
The Archers of Avalon books is easily becoming one of my favorite series. Secrets, curses, evil witches, and hot boys! It seriously does not get any better then that. Chelsea Fine is proving, once again, what a terrific and talented writer she is. I could not have asked for a better second book in the series and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of book number three, Avow, due out in December.

Awry picks up at the second that Anew left off, with Scarlet dying in Tristan's arms. But this time, the curse is changing. When she dies, her body doesn't disappear like it usually does and comes back decades later. This time, she wakes up right away. Leaving Tristan, Gabriel and Nate utterly baffled. They realize that something isn't right and they desperately need to find the Fountain of Youth as soon as possible, or they might lose one of their own forever. 

What made Awry so amazing werre the flashbacks. Besides being written in Scarlet's, Tristan's and Gabriel's POV in present day, we also get to see their POVs in 1538 and we see what they were like before the curse. I got to see a whole other side to all of them and it was very interesting. Everything made so much sense and many of the questions I had after reading Anew were answered. I loved every single second of the flashback scenes.

My favorite aspect of this series is the characters. Tristan is absolutely amazing. From 1538 to the Tristan we know today, he really is just a beautiful and perfect person. His story is heartbreaking. He puts the weight of the world on his shoulders, when he doesn't have too and he never complains. God, I just love Tristan. We also get to see how perfect Tristan and Scarlet really are for each other. They are exactly the same person and they are adorable together. They truly are soul mates. I love present day Scarlet. She is funny and sweet, but 16th century Scarlet is kick ass and little by little, Scarlet remembers a bit more of who she was and it is an awesome transformation. I loved Gabriel in Anew, and don't get me wrong, I still love him, but I saw another side of him in Awry, and I did not like what I saw. I think it was wrong that he kept blaming Tristan. Like Tristan doesn't feel enough pain and guilt, he needs to be subject of Gabriel's anger too. If it wasn't obvious before, can you tell I am in love with Tristan?

The supporting characters are written perfectly as well. Nate is so hilarious, and we got to see another side to him, which was very sweet. Nate really surprised me with his awesomeness! Then there is Heather. I usually hate the sidekick/best friend but I absolutely love Heather! She's funny and cute and 100% protective of Scarlet.

Awry is a fast paced book that will keep you wanting more and the writing is absolutely perfect. With multiple point of views, in different time periods no less, you wouldn't think that it could be pulled off so flawlessly, but Fine makes it seem effortless. The writing flows so nicely and it's all put together brilliantly.

If you have not started this series yet, what are you waiting for? Awry was perfect, and I can't wait to get to hang out with these characters again in Avow






Books in the Series:



3 comments:

  1. These sound good! Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Those flashbacks sound hardcore! O_O 1500s?! I'm usually wary of flashbacks, because they're delicate things that the author needs to handle well to pull it off. Anyway, this series seems promising! <3 I haven't read a good witches and curses book in a while (well, since Born Wicked ^_~) Fabulous review, Kristina! Adding this one to my TBR list ^_^

    Vivian @ Vivaciously, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually skimmed your review because I haven't read Anew but it sounds like I REALLY need to now! Those flashbacks sound like some serious stuff LOL ;) And I LOVE really awesome characters so I'm glad Awry has them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...