Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Hallowed
(Unearthly # 2)
By: Cynthia Hand
Pub. Date: January 17, 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 416
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning. 


I loved Unearthly. I thought it was so good. What I loved most about it was that the main character already knew she was part angel. I didn't think this series could get any better, but it did! Hallowed was filled with so many unexpected moments and I loved every single minute of it!

At the end of Unearthly, Clara finds out that Christian is also part angel and since she didn't save Christian in the forest fire, she didn't fulfill her purpose. She decided to save Tucker, but now she is afraid that Tucker is going to die, since he didn't die in the fire. While dealing with that fact, Clara is learning a lot more about who she really is, and meeting many other half angels who live right in her town!

Man did I feel for Clara. She was dealing with a lot. She hasn't been getting along with her younger brother Jeffrey, she is trying to keep her feelings for Christian away since she loves her boyfriend, she is trying to figure out if there is more to her purpose, AND if that wasn't enough, there are other things happening in her life that are very hard to deal with.

There are so many different emotions going around in Hallowed. Every single character is so well written that we really get a sense of the struggles that each one of them are facing.

There were so many questions left unanswered in Unearthly, and while Hallowed answers many of them, it leaves a whole new set of questions that now need answering. One thing I couldn't stand in Unearthly was how little Maggie (Clara and Jeffrey's mom) would tell them about being part angel. I was glad that she finally told them a lot of what they and I have been wondering.

As for the love triangle, I know some people are strictly Team Tucker or Team Christian, but I really can't decide. I love them both, and they are both so important to Clara. She needs both of them in her life.

Cynthia Hand is such a talented author. This is easily becoming one of my favorite series and I can't wait to have a finish copy on my bookshelf!  

This review was brought to you by Hallow Tours!   

6 comments:

  1. I am half way through this book now and loving it. It really is a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed in this book. Guess it's because I'm a Team Tucker gal. Great review anyhow! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Unearthly, so I guess I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m Team Tucker for Unearthly, Team Christian for Hallowed and we will see what my final decision is for the last book. I'm going with Christian though, even though I still love Tucker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this! It has been so long since I read Unearthly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clara is tested on many levels and manages to keep her head held high. Outlining her from the beginning to the end of the book, there is a dramatic rise in Clara's awareness and strength. It was an amazing transformation to witness.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...