Thursday, December 8, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer By Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
By: Michelle Hodkin
Pub. Date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pages: 452
Source: Purchased

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of those books that you go into not knowing ANYTHING about it. The summary gives nothing away, yet, you still want to read this story. I absolutely loved it! I thought it was amazing and I have nothing but praise for it.

The main character is Mara. She just lost her best friend in a horrible accident and she can't remember anything about it. When her family moves down to Florida, things just keep getting weirder and weirder for Mara and she has no clue what is happening to her. I also loved Mara's family. I loved how involved they were in Mara's life. It was very refreshing and the whole family was well written.

Noah Shaw is a character that is very hard to figure out. Is he a womanizer or not? Is he really that much of an ass or is it just a defense mechanism? Noah was so interesting and I loved everything about it. Him and Mara's connection and their quick wit together was hilarious. I was laughing very hard at some of their conversations. Just read this, and tell me you aren't laughing!

“Asscrown,” I muttered under my breath as I headed to my next class. I wasn’t proud of swearing at a complete stranger, no. but he started it.

Noah matched my pace. “Don’t you mean ‘assclown’?” He looked amused.

“No,” I said, louder this time. “I mean asscrown. The crown on top of the asshat that covers the asshole of the assclown. The very zenith in the hierarchy of asses,” I said, as though I was reading from a dictionary of modern profanity.

“I guess you nailed me then.”

Love it!

The story is so well written that I was never bored and I could not turn the pages fast enough. Mara Dyer ends on a WTF-did-that-really-just-happen cliffhanger and I can not wait for the second book! I would definitely recommend it. It is one of my favorite reads of 2011!


6 comments:

  1. Great reivew. I love this book! The banter between Mara and Noah is beyond hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh I loved this book, I love Noah I loved Mara, shes my freaking psycho girl :) great review! so glad you loved it too Kristina.

    ♥Ficbookreviews♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book around SO much on all the book blogs! At first it seemed weird to me, but it's beginning to sound more interesting. Also, the cover is just making me feel total cover-lust. It's so pretty! For some reason, it reminds me of ballet...

    Check out my book blog/follow me sometime!
    princessoflit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so much about this one! Thanks for awesome review, I am even more excited to get to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I liked most about this book is the great mind game the author, Ms. Hodkin plays on the reader. I am a huge fan of movies or books that mess with your head. I love being so engaged in the story that the reader doesn't even realize what is going on. Some things in the book were so inconceivable I had hard time putting it all together! Nonetheless, I still read every single word, every single page, without stopping.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...