Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: The Magic Warble by Victoria Simcox

The Magic Warble
By: Victoria Simcox
Pub. Date: January 1, 2009
Publisher: Two Harbors Press
Pages: 267
Source: Author
Dwarfs, gnomes, fairies, talking animals, and an evil queen - all these and more can be found in The Magic Warble, an enchanting tale of adventure and friendship.
The Magic Warble is a magical story that fourth through seven graders will absolutely love. There are gnomes, fairies, evil queens, and many other magical creatures.

The main character is 12 year old Kristina. Her only friend is her rat, Raymond. When she is given the magic warble by her teacher she is transported to the magical land of Bernovem, where animals talk and anything goes.

Bernovem used to be a peaceful land until Queen Sentiz came into power. She destroyed lands and families and everyone is afraid of her. If Kristina could get the magic warble to it's final resting place the Queen will lose her power, and everything will go back to normal.

My favorite characters were the two fairies, Clover and Looper. They were so much fun! the raven and Prince Werrien were also very interesting.

My main issue with The Magic Warble  was the writing of Kristina's character. No 12 year old American girl talks the way Kristina talks. For example, at one point Kristina wonders, " Is this handsome young man coming to rescue me?". At another point she says, " Wait a minute! I haven't had a chance to thank Rumalock for his hospitality or even say goodbye to him". See what I mean, what 12 year old pre-teen says handsome young man?? It just wasn't realistic to me and turned me off a bit.

I think it is a wonderful story for young children. I think it teaches them to use their imagination. Even if life seems hard sometimes and they have no friends like Kristina, they can still do anything they want and still achieve great things.  


1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to read this book, especially since the girl has our name :) I also know she lives in WA so I was all the time seeing her books signed at Borders. I happened to find a signed used copy at Half Price and picked it up. I will eventually read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...