Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me
By: Tahereh Mafi
Pub. Date: November 15, 2011
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 338
Source: Bought
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting asThe Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.
I didn't even know what to expect when I picked up Shatter Me. All I knew was that people were raving about it, and I had to read it! This is a debut book that is not to be missed. Tahereh Mafi has blown me away with her writing and her story!

The main character is Juliette and she has been locked away with no contact with anyone for 264 days. She has been through a lot in her life. The other kids at school were afraid of her and her parents hated her and got ride of her as soon as they could. Yet, Juliette was so full of love. She was such a good person and very admirable. I had a lot of respect for her. When she meets Adam, she really begins to grow into a strong and confident person. I really loved the dynamic between Juliette and Adam. They brought out the best in each other. It was very sweet and realistic.

Adam was awesome! He was mysterious and sweet and I loved everything about him. I am looking forward to more Adam in future books!

The secondary characters brought so much to the story as well. Kenji was so interesting and I could not figure him out! I am very excited for more scenes with him. The bad guy, Warner was fantastic! He was the epitome of a bad guy, but he also has this vulnerable side too. I loved his scenes and wanted more of him! He is definitely someone that is hard to figure out.

The writing was completely different then anything I have read and I loved it. It brought such an originality to the story and just made it so much better! The sentences were structured differently, words were repeated and some sentences were crossed out. Even though it was different, I was completely obsessed with it!

Everything about this story was amazing. It was so original and there wasn't anything I didn't love about it. I am excited to see where Mafi takes us next in the series! 


3 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with everything you said. This book was an awesome read. And Adam . . . I love him to bits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my TBR pile, I may just have to move it up a little in the ranks. Enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see where the 2nd book goes with the story!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...