Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt


Going Vintage
By: Lindsey Leavitt
Pub. Date: March 26, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 320
Source: Netgalley

When Mallory discovers that her boyfriend, Jeremy, is cheating on her with an online girlfriend, she swears off boys. She also swears off modern technology. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in 1962, Mallory decides to "go vintage" and return to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn't cheat on you online). She sets out to complete grandma's list: run for pep club secretary, host a dinner party, sew a homecoming dress, find a steady, do something dangerous. But the list is trickier than it looks. And obviously finding a steady is out . . . no matter how good Oliver (Jeremy's cousin) smells. But with the help of her sister, she'll get it done. Somehow.

Lindsey Leavitt perfectly pairs heartfelt family moments, laugh-out-loud humor, and a little bit of romance in this delightful contemporary novel.
It’s been a while since I read a fun, cute contemporary read. Going Vintage was just what I needed to get out of my bad mood.

When Mallory finds out her boyfriend was cheating on her in his online game (think the Sims), she gets pissed and vows to go back to simpler times when there was no technology. While helping her grandmother move, she finds a list that her grandma wrote in 1962-when she was 16. Mallory decides to accomplish everything on the list, but the first thing she does is she gets rid of her cell phone.

I had so much respect for Mallory refusing to use technology. There are days that I wish I could shut the world off too, but it’s so hard! I can only be without my cell for an hour before freaking out, and this is the sad society we live in, because I am sure that I am not the only one who can’t be without it.

I really enjoyed the way Mallory found herself. There was a lot of character growth. She realized that she didn’t need a boyfriend, even if there are guys that like her. I also enjoyed the friendship she had with Oliver. I thought it was sweet and realistic.

My favorite character would have to be Ginnie, Mallory’s younger sister. Where Mallory was serious, Ginnie was fun. She was so supportive of her sister, and I loved the dynamic between the two.

Going Vintage is definitely a cute read that I will be adding to my bookshelf when it comes out in March. I highly recommend you pick this book up as well. It is just what the doctor ordered if you are feeling down. 


2 comments:

  1. I really loved Ginnie too-a great sister! I don't think I could go very long without modern technology either although it would help if I had a stack of books to focus on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Going Vintage! I also liked that her parents were so real. They fought, but they still loved each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...