Monday, May 7, 2012

Review: Whisper Walker by London Cole


Whisper Walker
(Whisper Walker series # 1)
By: London Cole
Pub. Date: April 7, 2012
Publisher: Self
Pages: 122
Source: Author
After turning seventeen, orphan Drake Adair discovers he can see ghosts when he falls into a pit of human remains while running for his life. What he doesn't realize is that he's stumbled onto his destiny.

Kelsie Blake, Drake's roommate and closest friend since she fled her filicidal father, has secrets. Secrets she keeps even from Drake. Sneaking outside the Gates into the wild, she risks everything for a little excitement. Her lies now threaten everything she cares about most in her life.

Drake unearths a plot by an enemy Guild to tear apart life as he knows it. The very people closest to him may be pawns in the grisly scheme, leaving Kelsie and Drake with no one to turn to as they struggle to find answers before it's too late.

Set eighty years after World War III, Kelsie and Drake pair up to protect the only life they know in a harsh and unforgiving world. They must each come to grips with his abilities, her secrets, and their mixed feelings for each other. Will they make it? Or will the very foundations of their lives be ripped from beneath them.
 I'll be honest, I really had no idea what to expect with Whisper Walker but I ended up really enjoying it. It was a quick read (only 122 pages) but there was enough action and suspense to keep me satisfied until the very end.

Drake is a Hunter, and one of the best in his field. At 17, he is the guy to go to when you need something. A few years earlier, he took Kelsie in who ran away from her father and the two have been living together ever since. What started out as a childhood friendship is turning into sexual feelings on both of their parts and it was cute how they both tried to hide it from each other. I really liked the bantering between the two of them and the romantic in me kept wanting them to get together.

Whisper Walker was extremely fast paced and from page one, I was swept into the world that London Cole had created. There are ghosts, evil spirits and ancient prophecies, which completely kept me hooked! Turns out that both Drake and Kelsie can see ghosts and it is up to them to save everyone from the nasty Dybbuk, an evil spirit that can force the soul out of a human, turning him or her into an empty, soulless killer.

My only issue was I felt the writing was a little choppy and sometimes it felt a little out of place at some parts. I would have also liked more background knowledge on both Drake and Kelsie. I enjoyed both of these characters so much, especially Kelsie who is just totally kick-ass, but I didn't really feel connected to them like I would have wanted.

Also, that ending?? Only a boy author could leave you hanging like that!

Overall, I really enjoyed Whisper Walker and I am looking forward to seeing what this new author has in store for us next!


2 comments:

  1. Great review, Kristina!! :-) Seems you and I both feel the same way about Whisper Walker. Glad that you enjoyed it overall. That ending left me like - Um, what? Haha. We'll see what London has cooked up next for us soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Kristina! I will say, I learned my cliff-hanger endings from Richelle Mead. They drive me crazy, and I like driving myself crazy. :)

    London Cole
    londoncole.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...