Thursday, September 1, 2011

Review: Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Cold Kiss
By: Amy Garvey
Pub. Date: September 20, 2011
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 336
Source: Netgalley
“It seemed so right. Danny was mine, I was his, and that wasn’t going to work if he was dead. So I would make him not dead, not anymore. I didn’t think any further than what it would feel like to kiss him again, to wrap my arms around him and bury my head against his shoulder.
That was my first mistake. It also turned out to be the biggest.”


When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.
This book has everything! There was romance, paranormal and zombies! Who doesn’t love a book with zombies in it? Cold Kiss is a haunting tale about what happens when you lose the one you love and would do anything to bring back. Even if that means bringing back a shell of what that person once was. 

That is the dilemma that Wren is facing now. After her loving, caring and perfect boyfriend dies in a car accident, she brings him back using a spell that she wrote herself. But Danny isn’t the same person he once was. He doesn’t know that he is dead, he remembers his friends and family, but as long as he has Wren, he is happy. Wren keeps him up in the apartment above a garage and at first Danny seems content with the situation, but eventually he starts to ask questions. He wants to know why he can’t go to school, or why he can’t visit his family, or why he isn’t even allowed to leave the apartment. Wren is not only heartbroken, but she has no idea how she is ever going to fix this huge mistake that she made. It isn’t fair to Danny because he isn’t living, and it isn’t fair to her. When a new boy, Gabriel moves into town, he might become the salvation that Wren needs.  

I enjoyed all of the characters in this story. Gabriel was swoon-worthy and awesome, Danny just completely broke my heart and even though Wren was an idiot for even casting the spell in the first place, she ended up growing on me too! I would have liked to learn more about Gabriel’s past though and there were a lot of answered questions regarding Wren’s family background in witchcraft. I believe there is a second novel, and I can only hope the questions that I have will be answered!

Overall, I really enjoyed Cold Kiss and I can’t wait to see what Amy Garvey has in store for us next! 




3 comments:

  1. I'm almost finished with this novel but I'm not really into it. I'm glad you liked it. There is a second book? I though it was a stand alone book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sold me on this book with the word zombies. ahhh so obsessed with zombie reads! plus this one has romance?! even better! so glad you liked it, i'm looking forward to its release! awesome review.

    New follower. Come check out my blog if you'd like!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really surprised how much I loved this one. I really wasn't expecting too, but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...