Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton


Summary Provided by Goodreads:
This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.


My Thoughts:
What I enjoyed most about Angelfire was that the author, Courtney Allison Moulton, put her own spin on Angel Mythology.  I thought this book was very original and with so many other books out there based on Angels, Angelfire stands out and can hold its own.

Ellie is a normal teenager until she starts to have nightmares about horrific black monsters that she has to fight and destroy. With the help of her Guardian, Will, Ellie begins to remember past lives consisting of fighting reapers before they can murder humans and bring their souls into hell. When she is killed in a past life, she is reincarnated into a different body, but her soul remains intact. With Will’s help she learns how to fight and how to use her powers, getting stronger with each fight. Ellie is the chosen one, and in the fight between good and evil, it is up to her to put an end to it.

I thought Ellie was a very strong character. She was funny, capable, brave, but also a 17 year old girl at heart. She wanted to hang out with her friends and go to parties. She understood what her destiny was, but she wasn’t going to forget that she still was just a teenager. Every time she is reincarnated she becomes a little bit more human, and this has been the most human she has ever been. Ellie wanted to know all about her past lives and so did I. We get little glimpses, but I hope in future books we see more of it. I am wondering how Ellie’s family is going to come into the story. There is definitely something up with her father, and I wonder if my thoughts are correct about what is actually going on with him.

Will has been her Guardian for centuries. He took an oath to always protect Ellie and guide her. When she dies, he waits for her reincarnated self to become seventeen, where he will teach her about her power, over and over again. I loved how protective Will was of Ellie. You can tell that they have such a long history and he cares for her deeply. I really liked Will and I hope we get to learn more about him.

Will and Ellie have a wonderful chemistry and it is clear that they have strong feelings for each other. I just thought they were adorable together and you can tell that they complete each other. I am interested to see how their particular story will play out.  

Angelfire ended with many different cliffhangers and I can not wait for the second book! Overall, I thought this book was awesome. It really had a little bit of everything. It kept my interest the entire time that I was reading it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! I've heard a few things about the book that had me sitting on the edge about whether to read it or not. But, after reading your review I will have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...