Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Review: The Lost Season of Love and Snow by Jennifer Laam


About the Book
At the age of sixteen, Natalya Goncharova is stunningly beautiful and intellectually curious. But while she finds joy in French translations and a history of Russian poetry, her family is more concerned with her marriage prospects. It is only fitting that during the Christmas of 1828 at her first public ball in her hometown of Moscow she attracts the romantic attention of Russia’s most lauded rebel poet: Alexander Pushkin.

Enchanted at first sight, Natalya is already a devoted reader of Alexander’s serialized novel in verse, Evgeny Onegin. The most recently published chapter ends in a duel, and she is dying to learn what happens next. Finding herself deeply attracted to Alexander’s intensity and joie de vivre, Natalya hopes to see him again as soon as possible.

What follows is a courtship and later marriage full of equal parts passion and domestic bliss but also destructive jealousies. When vicious court gossip leads to Alexander dying from injuries earned defending his honor as well as Natalya’s in a duel, Natalya finds herself reviled for her alleged role in his death. With beautiful writing and understanding, Jennifer Laam, and her compelling new novel, The Lost Season of Love and Snow, help Natalya tell her side of the story—the story of her greatest love and her inner struggle to create a fulfilling life despite the dangerous intrigues of a glamorous imperial Court.

My Review

Everything from the very beginning of this story captivated me! The cover was the first thing to attract me. The soft colors, the beautiful dress and St. Basil’s Cathedral in the window. Then the synopsis completely hooked me with tales of love, honor, and the beautiful setting of Russia. Overall, I was very happy with this book and would highly recommend it.

The story follows the real life romance of Natalya Goncharova and famous poet Alexander Pushkin through her eyes. The story begins with his death and then goes back in time when Natalie is 16 and is meeting Alexander for the first time. Don’t worry, his death isn’t a spoiler. It is public knowledge how he died, and it is in the synopsis!

I really enjoyed following their love story and I thought Natalie was a very relatable character. In the beginning of the story, she is a young 16-year-old girl. Her mother expects her to act like a lady and find a husband with money, but she would rather read, write and marry for love. I thought she was a great character, and knowing she was an actual real person, made her even better!

I usually don’t read and enjoy historical fiction books, which is weird because I am a history teacher, but again, I really enjoyed this one! I am happy that I discovered a new author and I am excited to read more from her! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...