Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa


The Lost Prince
(The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten # 1)
By: Julie Kagawa
Pub. Date: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 379
Source: Netgalley
Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase's unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he's dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister's world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myths and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My name is Ethan Chase. And I may not live to see my eighteenth birthday.
When I first heard that the amazing and talented, Julie Kagawa was going to write a new series based on Ethan, Meghan's little brother, I was a little apprehensive about it, but when I saw it on netgalley, I knew I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read another Kagawa book. I am very happy that I did. I think this is going to be a wonderful series.

Twelve years after the events of the original series, we find Ethan starting yet another high school. Ethan is labeled a troubled kid, but in reality, Ethan has the Sight, and can see Them, meaning everything in the Fae world. But Ethan isn't a bad kid at all. He's just trying to keep himself and his parents safe.

I really felt so bad for Ethan. He misses his sister Meghan so much, while at the same time hating her for leaving and becoming one of Them. He has to keep to himself and he can't allow himself to get close to anyone. If he does, there is a chance they could get hurt. Ethan just lives in this horrible cycle, while trying to keep everyone safe and not disappointing his family, but it never works out the way he hopes. Ethan is strong and brave, and definitely does not get the credit he deserves!

Despite Ethan trying to stay away from Fae problems, he gets sucked in when these ghosts things, who call themselves the Forgotten, attack him and the girl who won't leave him alone, Kenzie. Even though it is the last thing he wants to do, Ethan and Kenzie go into Nevernever to let Meghan know what is happening.

While in the Fae world we see old friends, Grimalkin, Puck, Ash and Meghan. We also meet some new guys, including Keirran. If you read The Iron Knight, then you know exactly who Keirran is! I really enjoyed Keirran, and I am looking forward to getting to know him better. There were a lot of unanswered questions regarding Ethan and Keirran, so I can't wait to learn more about that in upcoming books.

I also really enjoyed the love interest, Kenzie. At first I couldn't figure her out, but she is the perfect girl for Ethan. Of course, she comes with her own baggage, and I am really hoping that somehow the Fae can help her out with her problems. Ethan and Kenzie were adorable together. I loved watching Ethan's feelings grow for her.

I know this series is supposed to focus on Ethan, and don't get me wrong, I love him as a MC, but I would have liked to see more of Puck, Ash and Meghan. I was hoping Ethan and Meghan would have this huge confrontation, and Meghan would explain why she stayed away, but it never happened. Here's hoping it happens in the next book!

Overall, I really enjoyed The Lost Prince. While I was hoping for a little bit more, I am still extremely interested in The Forgotten, and seeing everything play out in future books. I trust Julie completely. I don't think she will steer us wrong! If you haven't read The Iron Fey series, I suggest you read those four books first, everything will make a lot more sense to you. 


5 comments:

  1. Aww, I agree with you! :) I'm currently reading this and I really am loving Ethan right now. I also trust that Julie will do the right thing and give us total bookish enjoyment. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every review I've read so far has been very positive. I'm so glad to hear that! I have a copy as well and I can't wait to get started. I'm so happy that she is going to continue, because I loved the Iron Fey :) Grimalkin and Puck <3 I want to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Unfortunately I didn't love this book as much as the previous series it was based on, but I'm still looking forward to seeing more from the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great, though I haven't read any of this author before. Maybe I'll check it out! :D Thanks for the review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one and really surprised myself by doing so. I thought it was going to ruin the first books for me by making things too drawn out but no, I loved it and Ethan. And I want to know more about the forgotten too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...