Monday, June 18, 2012

Double Review: The Prequel Edition: The Ash-Born Boy by Victoria Schwab and Among The Nameless Stars by Diana Peterfreund

The Ash-Born Boy
(The Near Witch #0.5)
By: Victoria Schwab
Pub. Date: May 15, 2012
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 61
Source: Free on Publisher Website
Before he came to Near...
Before he met Lexi...
Before they faced the witch...
Who was the boy named Cole?

Follow us to Dale, a city on a hill, where in a matter of days fire will devour everything. Meet the Lord and Lady, and their son, the boy destined to inherit all...until everything turns to ash.

It's time to learn the truth behind the stranger's story.
From the moment that Cole appeared on the pages of The Near Witch I was intrigued by him. What we did learn about him wasn't enough, and I could only hope that one day the author would write something in his POV.  In The Ash-Born Boy my wish came true. Set before the events of TNW, we learn who Cole really was and what really happened that horrible night his entire village burned down. We also learn the extent of Cole's powers, how he came to learn about his powers, and what those powers meant for him and his family.

What stood out for me most with TNW was how beautifully written the story was and The Ash-Born Boy is written just as whimsical and lyrical. In only a few short pages, I learned everything I needed to know about who Cole really was. His story is a definitely a sad one and I could see why he was the way he was.

The Ash-Born Boy can be read before or after TNW and if you haven't read TNW, this short story will definitely make you want to pick it up!



Among The Nameless Stars
(For Darkness Shows the Stars # 0.5)
By: Diana Peterfreund
Pub. Date: June 4, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 60
Source: Free on Authors Website
Before Kai joined the Cloud Fleet, he wandered… AMONG THE NAMELESS STARS

Four years before the events of FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS, the servant Kai left the North Estate, the only home he’d ever known, and Elliot North, the only girl he ever loved, in search of a better life. But the journey was not an easy one.

Featuring narrow escapes, thrilling boat races and at least one deadly volcanic wasteland.


For Darkness Shows the Stars is one of my favorite reads of 2012, and Kai is one of my favorite characters in YA literature. He intrigued me so much, but I couldn't help but feel that I wish I knew him better. When I saw that Diana Peterfreud released a prequel story in Kai's POV about his time after leaving the North Estate, but before he joined the Cloud Fleet, I was beyond excited and Peterfreund officially became my favorite person ever!

Starting one week after Kai left the North Estate, we see the pain and  loneliness he suffered while trying to better his situation. It seems that whenever he was able to move forward, someone pushed him five steps back. But Kai refused to give up and I really admired that about him. He is such an interesting guy and I really loved being able to get to know him better. Among the Nameless Stars definitely filled the void I had about Kai when reading For Darkness Shows the Stars. It made me love and understand Kai so much more.

This free prequel can be read either before or after For Darkness Shows the Stars. It is a beautifully written introduction to a wonderful and interesting book. I highly recommend it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...