Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: Kevin's Point of View by Del Shannon

Kevin's Point of View
By: Del Shannon
Pub. Date: October 26, 2010
Publisher: Flatiron View Books
Pages: 395
Source: Book from author
Kevin Tobin is a relatively ordinary 12-year-old dealing with the aftermath of his father's death in a mountain biking accident near their home in Boulder, Colorado. To escape from his emotional turmoil, Kevin has developed his imagination into a dangerous foil and a powerful ally. While he antagonizes his sister through his superhero antics on an average Wednesday morning, his ability to escape inside a character's head become critical to his survival after his life is once-again turned upside down a year after his father's death. A mysterious package arrives in the mail, Kevin and his best friend are hunted down by a ruthless villain set upon world domination, and after enlisting Kevin's teenage sister and her pizza-delivery boyfriend in a battle for control over time itself, the secret of Kevin's whole existence is revealed to him by a source we never expected. Del Shannon's imaginative story, appreciation for the powers of family and the desire of young boys to both escape reality and prove themselves within it, and fast-paced, adventure-filled storytelling style make this a book with wide appeal for readers of all ages.
I accepted this book for review from the author because I thought it would be a very fun read, and I was not wrong about that! There is so much adventure that I think it would keep any young child interested.

Kevin is dealing with a lot of pain and I felt for him. Prior to the beginning of the book, Kevin's father died in an accident, and to deal with his loss and emotions, Kevin's imagination flourished. You can even say it developed into something that can come across as a little dangerous. He would make up these characters and completely become them, sometimes forgetting himself in the process. His imagination also got him into a lot of trouble!

One day, Kevin receives a package in the mail. The package contains a power then can cause the holder to time travel, leading Kevin and his friend, Tony in even more trouble and adventure.

I enjoyed Kevin's and Tony's friendship. Kevin could definitely be a little out there with some of the things that he would come up with, and Tony was more realistic and the voice of reason. The two of them were hilarious!

I think that Kevin's Point of View would be the perfect story for young boys especially,  looking for a good read that is full of adventure. My only issue is that I think it was a little long for the targeted audience, and I think a lot of it could have been condensed.  I think parents would also enjoy their children reading it, because it has a great message as well. I also believe that the messages are easy enough for children to understand. I would definitely recommend this book to young boys and girls! 


3 comments:

  1. I read this for review as well and loved it! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. :)
    Janiera @This is From my Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to remember this when people ask me for middle grade suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww this one sounds SO adorable! I've bought it on my kindle long time ago, and I've yet to read it. I'll just have to check this one out soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...