Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting

The Last Echo
(The Body Finder # 3)
By: Kimberly Derting
Pub. Date: April 17, 2012
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 358
Source: ARC
Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet's talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it's Violet's job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by "the girlfriend collector" she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye....
As a huge fan of The Body Finder series, I was extremely happy when I received an ARC of The Last Echo at ALA this past January. I started this book at 2pm on a Saturday, and was finished by 6. I could not put this book down! It was well written and the plot was fast paced. There was nothing I would have done differently with The Last Echo and it was easily my favorite in the series so far!

In The Last Echo, Violet is working for a secret government agency with a group of people who also have "powers". They help the FBI to solve murder cases. But this particular murder case puts Violet in more danger then anyone could have ever guessed. My heart was pumping fast the entire time. I was so afraid for Violet and the chapters from the POV of the killer were beyond creepy!

Violet and Jay are still going strong, but we see less of them then we have in the first two books. The guy that really stole the show for me was Rafe! I loved him. I kept wanting to know what his secrets were. His story is a sad one, and I definitely understand why he keeps people away. Him and Violet had an interesting connection, and I am interested to see where Derting takes us with that.

The scenes with the "Girlfriend Collector" were beyond creepy. Never receiving love from his mother, the psycho kidnaps women, ties them up, but doesn't do anything sexual. He just feeds and washes them, and paints their nails. Then when he realizes the girls will never love him the way he loves them, he kills them. CREEPY!!  

The ending of The Last Echo killed me! Seriously! There was so much to wrap my head around, and I can not wait to see what happens next. 



4 comments:

  1. I want this book so badly! It's a pity there's less of Violet and Jay . . . but I am very interested in getting some more scenes with Rafe! He's very mysterious and I like him a lot. Anyway great review! Can't wait to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for this book, I preordered it so it should be here on my doorstep tomorrow and I will be going to signing the end of the month, so can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to start this series... CREEPY for real! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really enjoyed getting to know Violet in the first two books in this series, The Body Finder and Desires of the Dead and was very excited to get my hands on this book to see what echoes Violet would be haunted by next. Now that I have finished the book, I think I understand the title, but the word "last" did throw me through a loop at first. I am not sure why, but I thought this was the last book in this series. I was confused once I reached the end of the story because it did not feel complete. Luckily, I went to Kimberly's webpage and found out that this is not the last book in this series and that made me feel better about how things ended.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...