Sunday, April 3, 2011

Where She Went by Gayle Forman


Summary Provided by Goodreads:
It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

My Thoughts:
I received Where She Went from NetGalley and I was super excited! I had just finished If I Stay a few nights before and was itching to read Adam’s story. At first I thought If I Stay ended on a positive note (well, as much of a positive note as it can) and I didn’t think a sequel was necessary. But after reading Where She Went, I would definitely not call it a sequel. I think Adam’s story needed to be told, and I am so glad it was! I finished Where She Went within a day and I honestly don’t think anything I say or write will give this beautiful story justice. Where She Went was fantastically written and I really want to give Gayle Forman a big hug for writing it! If you haven’t read If I Stay, I strongly suggest you do, if only to be able to read Where She Went.

Where She Went begins three years after the events in If I Stay. Adam and Mia are no longer together, and Adam is a big time rock star. He is also depressed, lonely, and angry. He is definitely not the same Adam we all fell in love with. Told in the present tense, as well as flashbacks, we see the events that led Adam to the point he is now. Also, at the beginning of every other chapter, we get snippets of Adam’s lyrics. They were also beautiful and touching! You can really feel Adam’s anger in the lyrics. I wish Shooting Star was a real band, I would totally buy their CD!

Adam, alone and walking around NYC sees Mia again and they end up spending the night walking around the city together. Through flashbacks we see her family again, and we learn just how much the tragedy changed him. I really thought Adam and Mia were going to stay together after the accident. As much as I hoped they would, after reading Where She Went I understand the reasons they didn’t. I also feel the way that Mia did deal with the tragedy was very realistic.

Forman has an excellent way with her words, and the reader can feel everything that the characters can. That is why I love these books! She made Adam so raw, that my heart was breaking for him throughout the entire novel. As with If I Stay, I was crying at the end of Where She Went. The ending was so perfect! As soon as I finished it, I wanted to read it again! Just writing this review makes me want to read it again!

Here is the book trailer for Where She Went:



Where She Went releases April 5th and I think everyone should go out and buy it!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read it. I've been dying to get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and Christina are hosting a Read Along for this book and I was wondering if you or anyone else would be interested? You can find out more about it here:

    http://comacalm.blogspot.com/p/read-along.html

    Sorry to bother you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my post! I would love to know what you think, so please leave a comment below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...